Thursday 1 September 2011

Drake Thinks JoJo 'Killed It' On 'Marvin's Room' Remix

'It meant a lot coming from him,' JoJo tells MTV News on VMA black carpet about Drizzy's response.
By Jocelyn Vena


JoJo
Photo: MTV News

LOS ANGELESJoJo has certainly grown up somewhere between releasing "Leave (Get Out)" back in 2004 as a 14-year-old and her very NSFW remix of Drake's "Marvin's Room."

As soon as JoJo dropped the sultry, sassy track, redubbed "Marvin's Room (Can't Do Better)," earlier this summer, blogs and music lovers went crazy over her mature voice and even more mature lyrical content. In the song, she coos lines like "F--- that new girl that you like so bad/ She's not crazy like me, I bet you like that."

Much like the Drizzy version, JoJo's version is a swirling ode to drunk dialing that special someone, and the longing of the track seemed to resonate with folks — which is the most surprising part to JoJo, considering she drops a few F-bombs.

"I was shocked!" she told MTV News on Sunday night on the VMA black carpet about the overwhelmingly positive reaction to the remix.

So how did she end up recording her answer to Drake's track? "Well, one of my friends was like, 'Jo, you gotta hear this new Drake song!' I loved it, and I thought Drake was really emotional and honest," she explained. "I was like, 'This a great record,' so I had a little time in the car ride [on my way to the airport]. So I wrote my version in the car ride, and I landed in L.A., I went to the studio, I recorded it, and the next day I put it on the Internet, and people really, really loved it. And I was totally shocked, 'cause I was scared to use the F-word, and I didn't know how people would respond to it."

The track, produced by Jordan Gatsby and featuring vocals from Travis Garland, is not only fan-approved, but also approved by the Canadian rapper himself.

"He said I killed it and that he was really happy with everyone's response," she said of Drake's reaction. "It meant a lot coming from him. It was all out of respect."

The 28th annual MTV Video Music Awards have wrapped, but the real action is just getting started! Stick with MTV News for winners, fashion pics, video and behind-the-scenes stories about everything that went down. Visit VMA.MTV.com for the latest.

Related Artists

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1670051/drake-jojo-marvins-room-remix.jhtml

China Chow ChloƎ Sevigny Christina Aguilera Christina Applegate

No comments:

Post a Comment